(keitai-l) Re: Mobile 3D Users & Future Trends

From: ロブ T. <bethor_rt_at_yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 04/25/04
Hello Paul,

> Different types of RAM, bus
> width and cache allocation have incredible impact on
> the ability to play
> games, and these are dictated by cost, not technical
> advancement in the
> society.

Yes, but I would argue that even more than cost, the
problem is that until now, 3D performance has just not
being considered at all during the hardware design stages.
This has already changed in Japan - The first handsets
with 3D acceleration will be released very soon. By next
year it will become a standard component on all but the
low-end products lines. It will be the "second coming" of
mobile gaming =)

> I'd love to see some of the great
> Japanese games in the West,
> but they'll have to be M3G games if they want to get
> to the volume handsets.

Eventually yes, but it will take some time. If you look at
the first batch of announced m3g phones, the only one I
think is potentially a high-volume phone is the Sony
Ericsson K700 (which also happens to support the Japanese
API).
We also need to look at content delivery and billing,
which is still a big mess in Europe compared to Japan.
Japanese game companies are very cautious about those
things.

regards,

Rob