(keitai-l) Re: Mobile 3D Users & Future Trends

From: Paul Beardow <PBeardow_at_superscape.com>
Date: 04/27/04
>Your naive analysis seems right on.
>Using a GPU instead of a pumped up CPU actually increases
>battery life, since bus data traffic decreases
>significantly.
This argument assumes that the game developers won't still be using the app
processor at its full potential. As a game designer, if I can offload the
graphics to a GPU, I'll be using the app processor for more game AI and
other enhancements such as better physics. So in effect you'll have two
processors running at full steam, albeit with a better graphical output - or
output matching that of a faster clocked CPU. If you're running a benchmark,
it's undoubtedly true that a GPU is power saving, but for a real game I
don't think it's so clear-cut. The real answer is probably that a GPU allows
you to use a lower clocked app processor to achieve the same results at the
low end, and at the high end other factors such as high end rendering
features, support for external monitors etc. is the deciding factor..

Paul