(keitai-l) Re: A sounding of a few questions on the market...

From: Steve Oldmeadow <steve_at_smoco.com>
Date: 04/27/04
On 27 Apr 2004 at 9:14, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Mark Frieser wrote:
>
> > What percentage of all ringtones downloaded are pirated?  We're
> > estimating 20-25%.
>
> How does the stuff get pirated? With Japanese phones, at least, it
> seems to be basically impossible.

Some Western handsets like Nokia's Series 60 range make it very simple to access
files on the hand set so that is one source of piracy.

If a mobile phone operator allows users to browse to any URL then there are lots of
resources on the Internet for free ringtones, wallpaper and midlets.  There are even
sites allowing users to set up their own WAP site for distributing mobile phone
content - all they have to do is upload the content.  Where this content originates
from is debatable, with the case of ringtones I suspect a lot of it is produced by
amateur musicians.

Steve Oldmeadow