(keitai-l) Re: Samsung working on 5.0 megapixel camera phones

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 05/13/04
On May 13, 2004, at 1:46 PM, keitai-l@appelsiini.net wrote:

> Fundamentally I don't feel that only the folks in Japan want to
> communicate via the Mobile platform using simple text and
> emoticons....

Quite right. "Complex text" is my personal choice.  As of most slightly
older people, I guess. The Japanese market has traditionally been "yoof
driven", which may well be a factor.

The Reg. article I linked to suggests that most people with camera
phones in the UK know how to send a pic, but don't. (You indicated your
research was just getting going in the UK, so I guess you don't have
figures yet.) One of the people they quoted suggested that it was image
quality that was holding people back.

If so, that is bad news for MMS as it suggests (British) people plan on
using a camera-phone to replace a standalone camera (where one wants
good image quality, and saves to local storage) rather than to send a
quick image to a friend/partner (where image quality is less important,
but speed and convenience is).

If it is true that the European market IS image quality driven, I
suspect that most images will be stored locally (standard Digi Cam
Mode) - which does not benefit the operators. Taking lots of pics with
a camera-phone != using MMS (in the broad sense of MMS).

regards Nick