(keitai-l) Re: Samsung working on 5.0 megapixel camera phones

From: Darren Luckett <darren_at_ukmedia.us>
Date: 05/13/04
> I tend to disagree with this statement.
>
> >I personally think that the takeup of MMS in Japan IS strongly
> >culturally influenced and is unlikely to be copied in other countries.
>
> MMS is simply a way to send image and audio files as an
> "enhanced" form of
> communication.

As opposed to email with an attachment? mms is really ms PowerPoint for
mobiles. the biggest advantage of mms is the ability to timeline events.
mobile email to mobile email must be better. ok not timeline events but if
you want that then you could send flash (in the future).

MMS was launched 2 early and only because nokia (who came up with it)
ignored the next logical step of SMS which was/is EMS - a system influenced
by docomo's emoji. EMS didn't require a massive handset upgrade, nor push
proxy gateways. the chances are handset incompatibility where a lot less
than that of mms.

as an example of the problems with mms take a look at the uaprof for the
SEricsson p900

http://www.sonyericsson.com/UAProf/P900R101.xml

see that last section:

- <rdf:Description rdf:ID="MMSCharacteristics">
  <prf:MmsMaxMessageSize>300000</prf:MmsMaxMessageSize>
  <prf:MmsMaxImageResolution>640x480</prf:MmsMaxImageResolution>
- <prf:MmsCcppAccept>
- <rdf:Bag>  ... </rdf*Bag>

look at all those file formats. then there's the screen size, then there's
"what it says it does on the box but doenst".

> We've done research now in Japan, Indonesia,
> China, the US
> and are working on getting something started in Europe and
> Brazil, and have
> found in each market a desire to use the MobileNet to communicate more
> effectively with others, suggesting that the potential for enhanced
> "multimedia" communications exist regardless of culture.  We're finding
> instead that barriers in price, network speeds and reliability, and users
> lack of comfort with the handsets make a far greater impact that cultural
> elements.

Whereas DoCoMo users are quite happy 2 uses rich text emails! Surley thhose
"barriers" are cross-cultural ie "useless and it doesnt work properly"?

> So instead of culture, could it be the differences in pricing, technology
> and user comfort with the handsets themselves that will be driving these
> differences across different markets?  Fundamentally I don't feel
> that only
> the folks in Japan want to communicate via the Mobile platform
> using simple
> text and emoticons....

Evidence seems 2 b to the contrary here. they do. its cheap, quick and easy.