(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone.jp FY2003 results, KILLING THE I-MODE MODEL

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/26/04
Ciao Ken

Il giorno 26/mag/04, alle 16:08, Ken Chang ha scritto:

> I've yet done my homework to analyze the results.  but I'd like to
> list the background first.
>

> (1) testing "post i-mode" waters
> i-mode succeeded because it's telecom, not Internet.  what I mean
> by "telecom" is metered service, voice minutes & data packets.
>
> now we are really facing the "Internet", which means flat rate and
> stalled market.  it's a big question to be answered, as the top
> priority issue for DoCoMo's new management.
>
> in the mean time, Vodafone.jp also got lost last year and destroyed
> its advantage by confusing the customers with rash movements.

This note is very interesting... The Economist forecasted some time
ago the possibility of mobile operators becoming pure bandwith
providers while being pushed to a marginal position similar to ISPs.

Looks like that competition and operators errors are bringing the market
to this.

In Europe phones based on Series 60, and not only those, are
capable of using a full web browser like Opera in this way making
you able to access a lot of free internet based information by using
a  GPRS or UMTS flat rate (usually around 19 euros right now).

Personally I use a TREO 600 and SMS are the only specific mobile data
based services that I use as most of the mobile services have no sense
pricing and so limited contents. With a flat rate is just fine. I would
like
just more bandwith to access video content like television videonews
that
are also free...

Is this going to kill the i-mode model?

BR