(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone.jp FY2003 results, the backgound

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 05/26/04
I've yet done my homework to analyze the results.  but I'd like to
list the background first.

(1) testing "post i-mode" waters
i-mode succeeded because it's telecom, not Internet.  what I mean
by "telecom" is metered service, voice minutes & data packets.

now we are really facing the "Internet", which means flat rate and
stalled market.  it's a big question to be answered, as the top
priority issue for DoCoMo's new management.

in the mean time, Vodafone.jp also got lost last year and destroyed
its advantage by confusing the customers with rash movements.

(2) looking back into history, we have experienced
  1 the i-mode period, text messaging and ringtone download
  2 the Sha-Mail period, picture messaging and Java games
  3 the handset period, when the network services lag behind

before someone can show us new business tricks, we're likely to
stay in the "handset period" which started nearly two years ago for
both 2G and 3G.

... I like Vodafone.jp's new handsets a lot.  cannot wait V901SH

(3) Vodafone.jp
I think I know a lot about Japan, but there are always something we
don't know as aliens, and very slight misunderstanding can cause
serious consequence when doing business.  Vodafone.jp may be a more
difficult case than Nissan in that it directly faces Japanese users.

I hear people say J-Phone people are very good a technology, which
I cannot agree.  they are very good, but what's more valuable is
that they know the market.  I'm for Japanese services on top of
western technologies.  the opposite will be a disaster.  (Japanese
service on whatever sh*tty technology is okay to me, like i-mode.)

cheers,

Ken