(keitai-l) Re: 3G register/filter

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/02/04
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, John Whelan wrote:

> If you read the Irish government recommendation it is *nothing* to
> do with Censorship. How is requiring registration of all phone users
> and trying (albeit not technically possible) to restrict child sex
> Censorship?

I'm not sure that "registration" of all phone users counts as
"censorship," (though some would say it could have quite a chilling
effect on some speech), but does this mean that there will be no such
thing as an easy-to-get prepaid 3G mobile phone in Ireland? That would
change the market quite a bit, I'd think; prepaid phones seem to me to
be very popular in the U.S., for example.

Also, assuming common data standards throughout Europe, what about
roamers?

As for the actual blocking of data itself, via automated tools, we've
seen plenty of problems with this before. Just ask anybody who's ever
mentioned the town of Scunthorpe, U.K., on their web pages.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org