(keitai-l) Re: Interesting WI-FI music solution from Apple

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 06/09/04
On Jun 9, 2004, at 6:10 PM, keitai-l@appelsiini.net wrote:

> 1) If you're already in the room with your stereo, why not just listen
> the beeb over FM?

My room is in Fukuoka, Japan. I, like most people in Japan, have
humungous bags of bandwidth at my fingertips. The BBC's extensive
"Listen again" service is what keeps most long term expats sane. (That
and the "voices" natch...)

> 2) I don't understand your DVD point. If you've in the same room as
> your
> stereo, why not just watch the DVD on your <$50 DVD player (almost
> always
> on the same shelf, after all) and pipe the audio from that, rather than
> watching it on your mac and relaying the sound by wifi?

  ... let's say (for example) that someone has - ah - bypassed -
conventional distribution channels and is watching a DIVX version of a
not yet released Hollywood blockbuster wot accidentally got
bittorrented over their 100megabit light fibre connection when they
were not looking... Sure, they COULD burn it to DVD and just MAYBE
their DVD player would handle it.... And even if it is a real DVD image
it is a pain to have to burn it to then play it...

Or lets say they want to do VOIP using their Mac, and output the sound
for the whole family to hear...

I reckon that a control panel to output all sound to this wifi box will
be part of Tiger (MacOS 10.4). Jobs isn't stupid - this functionality
is missing for a reason.

of course if Apple was a Japanese company this wifi box would be
introduced in conjunction with a keitai that switched over to wifi when
it was in range....

Nick