(keitai-l) Re: i-Mode push Technology

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/09/04
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Ken Chang wrote:

> > It's effectively e-mail. Send an i-shot to your computer address,
>
> you are saying SMS is e-mail, too.

I'll say it is if:

    1. You can send an SMS from your phone to an arbitrary e-mail
    address on the Internet.

    2. From any Internet e-mail connected system, you can send an e-mail
    to an arbtirary SMS number.

As far as I know, these two things do not hold true for SMS, though they
do for i-Mode e-mail.

> have you ever tried SkyEmail?

No. What's special about it?

> i-mode mail is nearer to SMS than e-mail.  for example, you can
> embed a melody (old ones), in both i-mode mail and SkyMail, but
> not much beyond that.

The melody is just ASCII text that's interpreted in a special way by the
phone. It's no different attaching an image using MIME standards, which
also ends up being ASCII text interpreted in a special way by the e-mail
client.

> if you know i-shot, you know why it had to be invented?

Yes, I do. However, the i-shot protocol is an internal protocol that
the user never sees. When I send an i-shot to the outside world, the
recipient has no way of knowing that the i-shot protocol was used, since
the message looks exactly like any other MIME e-mail with an image
attached.

You are overly concerned with protocol details that are entirely hidden
from the users.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org