(keitai-l) Re: i-Mode push Technology

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 08/09/04
Curt, Gerhard,
I'm sorry to say this but I can't believe you are working in Japan.

> Nobody uses pagers or SMS etc in Japan.
it's true that DoCoMo PDC network doesn't have SMS,
the claim is wrong for FOMA, au/KDDI, and Vodafone.jp networks.

> You are overly concerned with protocol details ...
I'm not.  we shouldn't talk about "push by e-mail" in the first
place if we know how users use it.  e-mail might be used, at most,
a single destination of pulling.

SMS is currently the only thing you can rely on for pushing.
the i-mode mail does try to deliver directly to the handset,
for once, and users have to check manually if it doesn't succeed.
one of reasons why I say it's somewhere between SMS and e-mail.
I was not talking about technical details.

I did't even think I have to write this message to explain it.

i-shot was invented because the i-mode mail has strong limitations
and is not expandable.  another reason I say it's neither SMS nor
e-mail.  i-shot itself has a lot of problems, too.  but I won't
blame DoCoMo too much for that.  they needed badly whatever system
to compete with J-Phone, a bright star which would be turned TU-KA #2
later by a British company soon after.