(keitai-l) MP3s and MAME

From: <camacho21203_at_yonden.co.jp>
Date: 08/23/04
Something that I have been thinking for a long time now is why more models
don't have the ability to play back MP3s, or another compressed format?

The model I will soon buy has QuickTime 6.5 Player, and I know on a Mac
or PC, QT has MP3 playback.

With many el-cheapo flash-card based MP3s from China/Taiwan, it seems like
today's high-end Keitai phones would have enough CPU power to handle the
decoding.

I've seen models support WAV and AIF files, so is it so hard?

I can only guess that the big 3 want users to purchase those silly melodies
from their
content providers. But I do recall a model some time ago that featured MP3
playback.
With the ability to put a 512MB card in most models today, they would be
perfect
as MP3 players IMHO.

I'm also wondering, since these models support Java/Brew, are there any
apps that
offer this feature?

Last off the wall question, MAME is an emulator for playing old classic
games like Pac-Man, etc.
It is available for many platforms, and I've seen it running on a Kodak
Digicam! Has anyone
seen a MAME port for modile phones? The graphics, sound and CPU of mobile
phones
should be able to run MAME without any problems.

Cheers,

Carlos Alberto Camacho
Senior Staff
International Activities Project Team