(keitai-l) Re: W21S

From: Frengle, Nik, VF-JP <nik.frengle_at_vodafone.com>
Date: 08/26/04
>Anyone know if you can use the W21S outside of Japan??

Scott,
No. au’s version of CDMA 1x and CDMA2000 uses a different radio signal scheme than other global implementations, and so only one or two ‘Global Passport’ models are usable outside of Japan.  Win uses 1xEVDO for data, so perhaps there is a chance you could use it for data only, but I don't think there are very many global implementation of that. I will let Ken educate us on whether au EVDO is compatible outside of Japan, since I am not sure.
There is something to be said, however, for standardizing on a global standard: In three years time the majority of Vodafone K.K. customers will be able to step on a plane with their keitai, get off pretty much anywhere except Korea, and use it.
Best,
Nik Frengle