(keitai-l) Re: Backing up VCard

From: Frengle, Nik, VF-JP <nik.frengle_at_vodafone.com>
Date: 08/31/04
Carlos,
Yesterday I downloaded the Excel template called VCFEdit from vector (ftp://ftp.vector.co.jp/pack/win95/net/tel/mobile/mail/VcfEdit_v10.lzh) .
Here are a couple of observations, which I am not sure will be helpful or not:
1. The names and reading fields cannot contain any more than 14 characters or an error is thrown. For Japanese this is not a big deal, but for English this is may be a problem.
2. The way that you back up data on newer J-Phone and Vodafone models is thus (or some version that is similar)
A. Press the menu or function key
B. Press the SD Card option, if you can find one
C. Press the 'transfer all' option
D. Select 'to memory card'
E. Enter your PIN number if requested
F. Select 'Phone Book'
At this point the vcf file should be written to the following place:
F:\PRIVATE\SDJPHONE\$B%f!<%F%#%j%F%#(J\$B%a%b%j%@%$%d%k(J\DIAL.BCK\ (assuming the SD card is drive f when it is loaded by your computer)
On my model it names itself according to the day, ie 04083100.vcf
You can then use the Excel macro to extract the data. Of course, you would then need somehow to put it into the au model.
The one thing that I have noticed with this and most other consumer options I have tried is that individual options get lost: Mails that automatically filtered into a particular folder, special ring tones or screens depending on the person, etc. don't seem to make it through.  Also, though not relevant in this case, if you want to edit your phone book in Excel, and then save it on to your memory card and upload it to your handset, a pretty important thing to realize is that the data on the card will completely replace your phone book: So if you have added something to your handset in the last few days since you backed up, that data will be erased.
The ease of use and compatibility of formats has been one of my pet peeves for a while, and this amply demonstrates the problem: The VCF format is standard, but both on my handset, and in Outlook, the way that I am allowed to import and export to and from it is confusing and non-standard.
Hope this helps. Best advice is still to take your handset into the au shop: If they are anything like ours, they *must* provide you with customer service, no matter where you bought your handset.
Best,
Nik