(keitai-l) Re: Embedded Linux Vs Symbian Vs T-Engine

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 09/15/04
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Neil Hopcroft wrote:

> During the development phase 24 hour defect turnaround is practical. I
> would be extremely wary of fixes turned around quicker than that since they
> plainly haven't been tested properly....

It is not plain that they have not been tested properly. It really
depends on the nature of the bug and the testing framework that is
in place. I have been able to do two-hour turnaround on fairly major
bug fixes in past projects because everything affected by them was
completely covered by a comprhensive automated test framework. (Note:
no area of the Linux kernel, as far as I am aware, has any sort of
comprehensive test coverage.)

On the other hand, there will be nightmare bugs. Take, for example,
a bug in a driver for a widely-used piece of hardware where the bug
manifests itself only on certain examples of a particular model of
phone. You may have to test against hundreds of handsets in order to be
really certain that you've not broken something else.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***