(keitai-l) Re: Embedded Linux Vs Symbian Vs T-Engine

From: Neil Hopcroft <neil-keitai_at_hopcroft.org.uk>
Date: 09/18/04
> > How long does it take to build the entire system?
>
>In my case, a full build-test-ready-for-release cycle was less than 20
>minutes. This included loading up several databases, starting up several
>web servers, and sending requests to those web servers and testing the
>
>It depends on a lot of factors, of course, but there can be only so much
>code in a phone, and computers are fast these days.

I don't know what you're working on but the build for the last phone system
I worked with was considerably longer than that (a number of hours), they
are *extremely* complex systems these days, millions of lines of code.
Often defect fixes in one area have a knock on effect elsewhere in the
system, especially those related to timing issues - the kinds of things
that only show up during the final stages of phone development, when the
debugging code is being removed.

Neil