(keitai-l) Re: Using Just One Markup Language

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 10/13/04
On 2004 Oct 13, , at 10:30, Curt Sampson wrote:

>> <shameless plug> The i-mode Developers
>> Guide is also worth a look at. </shameless plug>
>
> Already have it. :-) Unfortunately, there are two problems with it,
> from my point of view: a) it's way too verbose; the same information in
> reference, rather than tutorial form, for someone who knows the general
> gist of things, should be perhaps 1/5 the size; and b) it covers only
> i-mode, and not the other vendors. Well, I'm not the target audience
> for
> this book, obviously.

It was written two years ago as an introduction to i-mode for users
outside Japan so is probably not the best reference for you ;)

>> KDDI skipped straight from HDML to XHTML so you will find very little
>> mention of WML on the EZWeb site. I suspect any HTML gateway
>> translation going on for non-XHTML KDDI mobiles is to HDML not WML.
>
> According to my guide, the A1100 and A1300 series used WML. (Though
> they
> report themselves as a version 6 browser and seem to work fine with
> XHTML.)

All but the most ancient Openwave (Unwired Planet) browsers support WML
so you could throw WML at any KDDI mobile. It's just not a language
that was ever pushed by KDDI as they basically hung on to HDML until
XHTML came along.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com