(keitai-l) Re: Using Just One Markup Language

From: Christopher Kobayashi <chriskk_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10/13/04
> Were you using the Japanese version of the Openwave SDK? There are some
> differences between this and the English version.

I'm using the one that is linked from AU's site:
http://www.au.kddi.com/ezfactory/tool/index.html

The emulator shows an AU Casio phone and works w/ Japanese text
without any problems. I don't remember if this phone profile is
default when you install it, but if you goto File-Change Device you
can choose either the Casio-A5401CA.pho Sim Config File or the
OPWV-SDK-62.pho.

Is this the Japanese version you're talking about? The app's UI is
English, but it's simulating a Japanese model.

> Your designers should run the same increased contrast tests you run to
> test a site's accessibility compliance. On a Mac you can do this with
> the contrast enhancer in the Universal Access panel. An enhancement of
> about 20% is close to a lot of mobile screens.

Thanks for the info.

And since we're on emulator/simulators ...

Are there emulators on OSX too? I can't seem to come up with any ... I
would love to be able to code on OSX and use a native emulator(s) for
testing the three carriers. I guess you can do it with Virtual PC with
the various emulator apps, but that doesn't seem too appealing.

For iMode emulation I'm using i-mode HTML simulator version 6. Also to
create emoji I use i絵文字(emoji)ver1.1. Is this what you use too to
simulate iMode displays? I feel the browser isn't that good, but the
log window is useful. Or is this in your book? Sorry haven't read it
:p

For Vodafone I use the old 919Simulator for JPhone. This tool opens up
w/ a Sharp JPhone interface. Simulate either a J-SH02 or J-SH03. I'm
not sure how this app compares with the real models, but it was useful
to see what the emojis will look like and screen real estate. Also,
necessary for me to simulate Vodafone model without racking up too
much packet cost. I used this tool to simulate older phones and a real
V801SA that gave me a sense of what the site would be like on recent
models.

Added these tools to the wiki page. Refactor, refactor, need to refactor :)
http://wiki.oreno.org/bin/view.cgi/Orenowiki/JapaneseMobileSpace

> <shameless plug> I spend some time in the i-mode Developers Guide
> running through some techniques for dynamically generating image
> content for mobile screens. </shameless plug> It is not difficult and
> combined with something like WURFL, you should be able to build a
> solution in your preferred server language.

I haven't used the WURFL data. Seems like overkill for doing mobile
sites in Japanese. Would love to hear your opinion.

> Flash or SVG Tiny should solve many resolution issues for vector format
> image data like logos and maps, but photos are going to require a wee
> bit of batch work in Photoshop et al.

I think for logos or information icons for navigation this might work,
but like Curt mentioned maps are a different world.

Speaking of Flash, anyone use the Flash Lite1.1 CDK by Macromedia? Any
good simulators in there? Only for Flash or does it do the XHTML pages
too?

> You should always test on the real thing, preferably lots of real
> things (http://pukupi.com/articles/top10/#hint10)

Very nice! Is that more content for the wiki too!?! ;)

I want to agree with #6, but it seems like Japanese sites love to use
Emoji. And during initial meetings/demoes non-technical people will
say let's add a beer mug here, or a tel emoji there. Hard to avoid the
kawaii stuff. I have fun with it though, trying to figure out matching
emojis for each platform within text copy.

chriskk
--
b: http://moblog.oreno.org/
e: chriskk@gmail.com