(keitai-l) Re: mobile phones killing iPod (was "iPod killing Mobile Phones")

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/20/04
> On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Benjamin Joffe wrote:

> Do not hesitate to tell me if some of what I write sound too
> far-fetched
> or like pure fabulation.

Ok - I'll bite..

> The ability to burn content
> on CD-R will soon be irrelevant as everybody will soon be always
> carrying a device
> including memory
> (flash or hard drive) like mp3 player, mobile phone, digital camera and
> will not need CDs
> as physical supports.

This works fine until the hard disk crashes and you have no backup.
CD's are backup. High quality backup. Less "backup" in fact, than a
"Master Copy" if you buy a proper CD. (Which is why I buy CD's and rip
to the format, at the encoding, I want for the particular device I am
using.) And if something can be backed up, the music industry will want
heavy, heavy, DRM, unless Jobs can persuade them that his DRM light is
the way to go.

The model you are talking about is fine for "disposable music" (there
is a lot of it about, alas) - but not the stuff that people want to
keep, argue about, fight over when they divorce, etc etc.

Music is only chewing gum for the kiddywinks. And while that is a
market, it isn't the whole market.

Nick