(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Video Telephony

From: Benjamin Joffe <benjamin_at_newtgames.com>
Date: 10/26/04
Ryan,
You may be closer to reality than you think : avatars are already hugely
popular
in Korea, as they can be your "new (and improved) digital self" not only
for games
but for communication (heard of Cyworld and Mini-me ?).
Men and Women apparently relate differently : guys looking for something
that is looking like them to show their personality, while girls (as a
general trend)
tend to use their avatar more or less as a doll.

As for the make-up funny story (scary?), in a Japanese TV show, there
was a story
about a girl who sued successfully another one for taking a picture of
her while
sleeping without makeup and showing it to her prospective husband, despite
her saying she would rather die than show her real face ^ ^;;

I think most carriers and many analysts did field studies on mobile
telephony,
but I have never seen any free of charge.
DoCoMo was relying on international buzz and hopes, as a pioneer of
mobile video
communications, and has been disappointed for two years before starting
to sell
3G that was becoming better than 2G in terms of general user experience.

Further, the communication shifted from "you can do video phone!" to
"you can download music samples (and BTW, do video phone)"... which is
rather hard
when you consider the investment. At least larger bandwidth is an
enabler for many services...
KDDI had seen then same going from "you can use GPS!" to "you can
download music samples
(and use GPS)"