(keitai-l) Re: The end of the DoCoMo 2G

From: L. Cosh-Ishii, Wireless Watch Japan <lcosh-ishii_at_wirelesswatchjapan.com>
Date: 11/19/04
Hmmm..

I was at the 506i event on April 27th.. during the Q&A several journalists
asked Masuda-san, from DoCoMo's i-mode Planning Department and host of the
press conference, whether DoCoMo will continue to split resources between 2G
and 3G handset development? Masuda-san answered: "900i-series is our
flagship, so we'll promote that. But if we listen to the user's
requirements, we have to sell non-900i-series - we cannot offer only 900i.
But we can manage this issue. In the end, we wish to shift over to the
900i-series." She added that whether this is the last of the 5XXi-series
(2G) "depends on the demands of the users."
http://www.wirelesswatch.jp/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=688
(The video preview is free - access to full programs require paid
subscription)

I'd say it will take more than 1 year to migrate their other 40million
customers over to 3G, unlike the KDDI example where customers were given no
choice. It seems likely to me that DoCoMo will continue to roll-out more 2G
models (all felica enabled) for awhile yet before they finally shut-down
their pdc network.

Lars.