(keitai-l) Re: rinux phones

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 11/24/04
Actually, at the Wireless-Japan exhibitions:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/wirelessjapan2002/
http://www.eurotechnology.com/wirelessjapan2003/
http://www.eurotechnology.com/wirelessjapan2004/
there were lots and lots of wireless VOIP handsets
on display from lots of companies, including DoCoMo's NEC handset.

Gerhard

Jason Pollard wrote:
>>If you think about it, Docomo would be crazy to offer SIP that just
>>anybody could use; it would be cannabalizing their current voice revenue
>>without giving them any alternate revenue.
>>

> You're right, it does cannibalize their voice network, but I was thinking of
> giving docomo the benefit of the doubt here.  Perhaps they see the writing on
> the wall...I do.  Wireless VOIP handsets will lag only slightly behind VOIP
> adoption in general.  I mean, sooner rather than later somebody is going to put
> WiFi and GSM in a handset, and with docomo coming out with this they can at
> least get first mover benefits as well as (keeping their maybe perceived)
> technology leader status.  And if these handsets happen to connect to the
> docomo cell network (as opposed to the competition's) when they're out of their
> wifi range, well then, at least docomo can make money there (VOIP serving as a
> loss leader here).  So the more of these get out into the market, the less
> docomo is going to bleed as wifi/voip enters mainstream.
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/blog/                 http://www.eurotechnology.com/