(keitai-l) Re: rinux phones

From: Jason Pollard <jasonpollard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11/24/04

> If you think about it, Docomo would be crazy to offer SIP that just
> anybody could use; it would be cannabalizing their current voice revenue
> without giving them any alternate revenue.

You're right, it does cannibalize their voice network, but I was thinking of
giving docomo the benefit of the doubt here.  Perhaps they see the writing on
the wall...I do.  Wireless VOIP handsets will lag only slightly behind VOIP
adoption in general.  I mean, sooner rather than later somebody is going to put
WiFi and GSM in a handset, and with docomo coming out with this they can at
least get first mover benefits as well as (keeping their maybe perceived)
technology leader status.  And if these handsets happen to connect to the
docomo cell network (as opposed to the competition's) when they're out of their
wifi range, well then, at least docomo can make money there (VOIP serving as a
loss leader here).  So the more of these get out into the market, the less
docomo is going to bleed as wifi/voip enters mainstream.