(keitai-l) Re: lust

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/30/04
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jonas Petersson wrote:

> Well, the DEC/Compaq/HP lab guys along with a fair number of other
> people have created a linux dist that runs pretty well on an old iPaq so
> you are not exactly starting from zero:

That's not quite what I meant. What I meant is that if you have done no
design and integration for any OS, you're probably going to spend more
time and/or money doing Linux integration (from any distribution) than
you would doing it for an OS designed for keitai. The real question is
whether or not the $10/unit or whatever royalty savings is going to make
up for that. If you're selling quite a few million phones, I guess it
well might.

But I'd be interested to see what the total investment looks like, when
doing it on Linux, including:

    o the code added to the system by internal programmers
    o the bugfixes and changes made to Linux by internal programmers
    o the code and time put into the build system
    o all of the code written for testing
    o time spent doing testing

I have tracked source (i.e., imported it into an internal system and
done maintenance on it) from other systems before, and that's a lot more
work than you'd think, especially if you're going to do the kind of
testing that a consumer device needs.

I'd be curious to know how much of the code in one of these phones
really is Linux code.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***