(keitai-l) Re: lust

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 11/30/04
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, nick may wrote:
>>Are you talking here about "vanilla linux" (such as it there is such a
>>creature) or are you referring to a the various "hard real time"
>>versions of the kernel (or "kernel with extensions"?)
>
> I'm talking about the more-or-less vanilla Linux; are they using
> something that's called Linux but is quite different?
>
> Anyway, my thesis here is that Linux is basically a pile of source
> code. Source code, despite the brouhaha people make over it, is not
> really worth all that much, because integration and testing are the real
> expenses. I just can't see this saving you all that much money unless
> you're starting from zero.

Well, the DEC/Compaq/HP lab guys along with a fair number of other
people have created a linux dist that runs pretty well on an old iPaq so
you are not exactly starting from zero:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ipaq.html?ca=dgr-lnxw10iPaq

I've got one of these beasts and even my original 3600 (sparse with
memory/CPU) works fine with wifi and dual X displays (internal + PCMCIA
card). Can even run for instance web and ssh servers.

Alas, the official web site is currently down :-(

			/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/