(keitai-l) Re: lust

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 12/01/04
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jonas Petersson wrote:
>>>Given that you're developing for very slow systems by today's standards,
>>>you'd be far better off developing on an emulator run on a fast machine.
>>
>>In my experience, emulators (at least for Symbian) do not work similar
>>enough to real phones.
>
> They do when you're building the phone and writing the emulator. If you
> find something that doesn't work the way it ought, you fix the emulator.
> Or you fix the phone.

So basically, you debug twice and compare the results - quite possibly,
both are wrong and you need to change both the phone and the emulator.
Anyway, you give the HW developer's view on this. I approached it from
the point of the SW developer - he most likely can't fix the phone and
is just handed the emulator as a true thing (which is usually isn't).

> Keep in mind that what I'm talking about is rather different from the
> kind of emulator that HTML developers use to check out mobile websites.
> I'm talking about an emulator that emulates the hardware, and the actual
> phone software runs on it.

So am I. For Symbian (60) the emulators seem OKish as long as you are
just coding games etc that only really care about the inside of the
phone. Once you start to do nontrivial things (like communicating with
other devices) it typically doesn't work the same (if at all) and error
messages are pretty meaningless. So basically this is just a small step
up from what you mention: a graphics emulation rather than a hardware
one. (Ok, I'm a bit nasty here, some things do work, but certainly not
nearly all - and as for the docs...)

				/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se