(keitai-l) Re: economist link

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 12/06/04
> >It really depends on whether something like WiMax works and takes off.
> >If it does, and coverage is all it's cracked up to be, it would be a
> >pretty big problem for the 3G operators.

In this conversation we should also remember that 3G and mobile networks
are about much more than just putting up antennas. Coverage has to be
reliable, strong, pervasive, robust .... even the mature WiFi technology
over a short range isn't always that right now.

I would bet most business users and most consumers are willing to pay the
premium for reliable, stable service than try to save a few bucks using
wireless Internet technologies. Of course, dual-mode handsets could cut
into cellular use in the same way the Doccimo allows users to route calls
over PHS when in range.

And who's to say this will compete with the carriers? They are facing a
spectrum crunch and the ability to offload some traffic onto a Wimax
network might push them into building their own services.

> But isn't there a significant difference between WiFi and long-range
> technologies like Wimax?  WiFi is a wireless technology while Wimax and
> 3G are mobile technologies.

I'm not sure Wimax is truely mobile is it? Can you use it in a moving
car/train? I think WiBro is better suited to such systems but you lose some
of the range and throughput. South Korea is backing WiBro, the US is
pushing WiMax ..... I'm not sure Japan has made a decision yet.

Martyn