(keitai-l) Re: softbank cellphone license

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/07/04
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, nick may wrote:

> are they likelier to introduce mixed voip/cellphone handsets (i.e voip
> around the yahoo-broadband-equipped house)?

There might be a business plan in here, actually. If they built their
cell network on the cheap, relying on WiFi coverage to pick up the
gap, they might be able to sell the service cheaply enough while
inconveniencing a certain market segment little enough that they could
actually make some money at it.

But I don't know if that would really fly. I think a more likely plan
would be to charge about the same as everyone else and introduce a phone
that can do VoIP only over YahooBB service, and only in your home (not
other locations with Internet access). That way he can try to sell on
the basis of combining two handsets into one and possibly using a single
number, not on cost savings.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***