(keitai-l) Re: softbank cellphone license

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/07/04
Question for the list: when my keitai has the capacity of an ipod
(40gig or so) how am I going to load it up with songs? (That's adding
new songs, and switching songs that I already own from my desktop.)
3G? I, personally, doubt it.

On Dec 7, 2004, at 4:36 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:

>  That way he can try to sell on
> the basis of combining two handsets into one and possibly using a
> single
> number, not on cost savings.

Imagine my Softbank cell-phone has the capacity of an ipod and I want
to fill it with paid for music or a movie.

They could give me the ability to listen to a snippet, buy the music
while on the move, then plug the phone in to a socket in my broadband
router when I got home, and download the music or movie directly to it.

Of course "broadband" has different meanings in different countries -
the speed difference between 3G and the official definition of
broadband in the UK is fairly small. (What is it in blighty -  256kbit
!?!)

Most people in Japan have at least a - what - 40megabit -  connection
at home?  Many have 100megabit. Is it still possible to buy an
8-megabit link in Japan? I standardly download 4 or 5 gig of data at a
session without really thinking about it (*cough* bittorrent
*cough*....). People are getting used to throwing DVD's worth of data
around, regularly - as a matter of course.

In the UK, 2megabit is still considered pretty slick, I gather... So 3G
speeds are probably pretty good, by comparison.

If itunes comes to Japan and the 3G carriers want to compete, they are
going to have to find a way to get those tunes/movies on to their
phones - multiple gigabytes of data at a time. Which is why softbank
may be in a good position to create something complementary.

Nick