(keitai-l) Re: softbank cellphone license

From: D. Dimitrov <dimiter_at_blue-edge.bg>
Date: 12/07/04
>Most people in Japan have at least a - what - 40megabit -  connection
>at home?  Many have 100megabit. Is it still possible to buy an
>8-megabit link in Japan?

Yes and no. Even though you pay for 40MBps, you get no more than 20
unless you live in 1km range from the post office (I'm talking about
ADSL here, fiber is much better.) Then there comes the fixed protocol
overhead, the package loss and session failures. So finaly,  for my
24MBps connection the maximum download speed I've seen is 1.5MB/sec from
a KDDI FTP server (which amounts to approx. 12MBps.)

That said, I've never felt the need for faster connection. My web pages
load pretty quick, sending mail is instantaneous and I rarely download
something bigger than 50MB. So I would guess that a more and more people
start not to care anymore if their connection is 24MBps or 100MBps (same
with the "megapixel count", the procesor clock speed and any other digit
that the market departments get their hands on.)

-- Dimiter