(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 02/17/05
> On Feb 15, 2005, at 4:58 PM, Ken Chang wrote:
>
> and now they are the world's most advanced markets, the #1 and #2.

I just don't accept this. Define "world's most advanced market". If you
want a phone that will provide an "office in your pocket" - the JP
market is way behind the UK market, as far as I can see...

Yeh - there are lots of cute boutique phones. Nice cameras, Etc. Bugger
all use to me, for one.

Bluetooth is still rare in Japan. Phones that sync with Macs are still
rare. Phones with really good standards compliant calendering
facilities are rare. PDA/phones are rare to non-existent.

The JP market is not so hot at letting me do what *I* want with the
TIMP (Thing In My Pocket, for those who have forgotten). Does
"advanced" mean "has found lots of ways to restrict my freedom and make
me buy things? Next you will be telling us about that world's most
advanced OS, Windows XP...

There are LOTS of phones on the international market that would make me
trade up from my P504i. There is nothing on the JP market except the
702NK. There are LOADS of phones in the UK I would cheerfully trade up
to.

It isn't that the Japanese market is a king with no clothes, it's more
that behind the fancy designer clothes, there isn't much of a king.

I don't particularly LIKE this phone, but it shows what is possible...

I don't particularly LIKE Microsoft, but this could overcome my
prejudices in an instant...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/08/review_htc_magician/

When will these be available in the "world's most advanced market".... ?

As an Englishman I take great delight in tooting the horn of Japanese
tech to my poor unfortunate brethren back in Blighty. (Have you seen
what the poor loves call "broadband"?! 256kb/s?! Two tin cans and a
taut string!).

But I do envy their phones.

Nick