(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Gareth Edwards <aragoto_at_dottocomu.com>
Date: 02/17/05
Not sure how many people here have tried a PDA with a thumb keyboard,
but I find it makes all the difference for text input in either English
or Japanese (I have a Sony Clie PEG-UX50). I would think a Treo
650-type device in Japan could be pretty popular; should we attribute
the lack of one to carriers' unwillingness to introduce more expensive
handsets, or the received wisdom that phones need to be kept at the
level of consumer electronics devices and not allowed to develop a
level of complexity that would supposedly alienate users? The fact that
DoCoMo is working with Motorola to make enterprise-targeted "PDA-type
phones" argues against that generalization.

Incidentally, I hear that the president of a certain Western cellphone
company recently advanced the opinion that the UK is two years behind
Japan for handsets...which doesn't necessarily gel with opinions
expressed here recently :)