(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.ne.jp>
Date: 02/20/05
You mean FOMA N900iL? Yes it's been around for quite some time.

This N900iL is quite different from the one in the URL you gave. The one
in the URL is just a mobile WiFi terminal, without traditional cellular
(3G etc) capability. There has been many such WiFi terminals
(non-cellular), including Cisco 7920 which was released back in 2003.

Unlike Skype, N900iL seems to connect to any SIP server. I saw many
companies offering such SIP server during net&com2005 in Tokyo this
month. So you get two numbers, one is FOMA phone number, the other is
050 number provided by your IP phone provider (Fusion etc). I guess
theoretically with this N900iL you can set up your own SIP server and
PSTN-VoIP gateway at your office, and receive calls local to your office
anywhere in the world where there is WiFi.

BTW, YahooBB has been providing WiFi equipped modem+router since years
ago.