(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/21/05
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Arnold P. Siboro wrote:

> This N900iL is quite different from the one in the URL you gave. The one
> in the URL is just a mobile WiFi terminal, without traditional cellular
> (3G etc) capability. There has been many such WiFi terminals
> (non-cellular), including Cisco 7920 which was released back in 2003.

I don't see how it's "quite different." The one really glaring
difference is that the N900iL is also a cellular handset, but Yahoo
can't go around selling those at the moment, can they? (The point being,
someone other than Docomo could sell a wireless handset usable anywhere
there's WiFi.)

> Unlike Skype, N900iL seems to connect to any SIP server.

Really? My understanding was that it could only connect to Docomo's
SIP servers, and you had either to buy a SIP server from Docomo or use
Docomo's SIP servers in a sort of Centrex-like arrangement. (I've heard
conflicting reports on this.)

At any rate, you certainly don't seem to be able to buy the N900iL in shops.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***