(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 02/21/05
Frengle, Nik, VF-JP wrote:
> There is a definite cultural gap: As a NYSE-listed company,
 > a lot of importance is placed on how profitable we are,
 > whereas in Japan and the media the focus is
 > overwhelmingly on market share.

Nik, I am not sure I understand this about the culture
gap. I checked out DoCoMo and Vodafone's annual reports and
found:

(a) both Vodafone and DoCoMo are listed on the NYSE
(b) DoCoMo reports a profit of US$   6.5 billion
(c) Vodafone reports a loss of US$ -15.5 billion

Looks like there is a difference of US$ 22 billion.

That kind of money is totally out of my personal range
of experience, so I don't really understand what that
means. Maybe you can explain. Naively, with my PhD
in Physics, I learnt in University about astronomical
things, light years and all that.... seems to me that
DoCoMo is US$ 22 billion more profitable than Vodafone
globally.... if I make a mistake please correct me.

What did you mean about the NYSE pressure being higher
on Vodafone than on DoCoMo and KDDI????

Gerhard

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/blog/                 http://www.eurotechnology.com/