(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone does FeliCa

From: Benjamin Joffe <benjamin_at_newtgames.com>
Date: 02/27/05
To answer about the name of the company and give a couple of additional
details:

The company doing the licensing of technology is called Felica Networks.
Its shareholders are Sony (57%), DoCoMo (57%) and JR East (5%).

Edy is an application running on the Felica technology, just like Suica.
Edy is managed by the Bitwallet consortium (Sony 34.55%, NTT DoCoMo 15.88%,
and about 40 others among which banks, KDDI, Toyota, karaoke, video
games companies)
Suica is owned by JR East, and has been extended partly to other JR
regional companies.

Edy is mainly a mobile payment solution while Suica's main function is
contactless card for
transportation. However, both allow mobile payment and Suica is
increasingly competing with
Edy, thus having two applications of the same technology fighting to
convince store chains and
businesses to chose their system. In the convenience stores world, AM/PM
has been a long-time
user of Edy, and is now joined by Sunkus/Circle K, while Family Mart has
decided to get
a Suica reader-writer in 1000 stores for a start...

The Felica chip allows many other types of applications, and Edy is also
building a range
of services making use of the Edy I.D. number and payment method.

So depending on the customer's needs, one may talk directly to Felica
Networks
(for a complete custom system, for instance) while for simpler
applications, Bitwallet
is likely to be a cheaper and faster solution.

The technical part of  application development is done by  System
Integrators, not by
Bitwallet itself, whose role is mainly limited to strategy, marketing
and training.

As the technology was developed jointly with Philips, there are some
chances that Felica
may make it overseas as well in the future, though making it a success
locally currently
takes much effort and prevent overseas marketing.

-- Benjamin