(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone does FeliCa

From: Colin Belton <colinbelton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 03/01/05
Curt Sampson wrote:

>A lot of companies keep data almost seemingly because it's cheap to
>keep. As well, police or other agencies may request that the data are
>kept for quite some time. If you're arrested in New York, for example,
>one of the first things the police will do is take your Metrocard and
>use it to find out where you've been travelling since you bought the
>card.
>
>cjs

I was thinking of what the merit would be for JR. I know the police
would love to get their hands on all sorts of data.
Yep, there is a lot of data to fall into the wrong hands. I read in
Nikkei Computer a while back that because of recent problems with
companies leaking consumer data, Japan has tightened up the regulations
on data storage in Japan. When the  new regulations come into force,
companies keeping data on 1,000 people or more will have to pay a lot
more compensation than they do now if the data goes astray. 1,000 people
may sound a lot, but this includes data on a company's own employees and
contact lists in employees' mail software.  Stored data also includes
non-digital data such as business cards, etc. Pretty easy for even a
very small company to find itself storing data on a lot of people.
Anyway, I suppose this is going a bit off topic for this list.

Colin Belton