(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone does FeliCa

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/02/05
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Gerhard Fasol wrote:

> ...it depens on online access, like the credit card authorization POS
> terminals. That would never never work for Japanese train cards, since
> it takes 10-30 seconds.

There is no particular reason related to networking that it needs to
take any longer than a local authorization. Not only is 100 Mbps access
easily and cheaply available in Tokyo anyway, but keep in mind that this
particular company does have rights of way to lay any sort of cable they
want to any of their stations.

It's sheerly a matter of processing power for taking tickets, and how
you divide that up. And I'm sure that they're putting a fair amount of
that into the gate itself.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***