(keitai-l) keitai for earthquakes

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/23/05
[this is a post aimed at JP side keitai-l'rs. Fukuoka is the ex-"least
likely place to have a major quake in Japan", so if it can happen here,
it can happen anywhere...]

Given recent events locally here in Sunny F. (the city expected 3000
deaths in the event of a 6+ magnitude quake, - it was a 6.6 richter, so
we were lucky. Tokyo assumes 12000 dead for a similar sized quake) I
have been thinking hard about what kind of keitai is best in a city
after a major earthquake....

... and come to the conclusion that e-mail is FAR more likely to be
available than voice - and that I should carry far more email addresses
around in my keitai than I do currently. As in EVERYTHING.

I should also be carrying more info about myself - next of kin, etc
etc. Obviously there is a balance here, carry too much and identity
theft is easier if one loses one's keitai.

I should also be carrying more addresses of friends so that I know
where to go and look for them if buildings have collapsed. It would be
nice for ME to know that there are people around who could dig me out
of the rubble and inform my family of my death. Wives and so on don't
count - it I am dead, so are they, probably.

Basically, email + pda + camera, with decent battery life, and often
updated.

Which, bar the concerns about battery life that some have about some
Voda 3G handsets, brings the 702NK out fairly high on the list - just
because it is more of an information i-pod than other handsets... That
said, a 2G would have better battery life.

Does any handset allow one to store data with real industrial strength
encryption?

Nick