(keitai-l) Re: pda with skype over wifi when compared to smartphone

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 06/16/05
I will just post this link for anyone with a 702NK still passing vcards
one by one...
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20041122012737911&query=nokia+7610

On Jun 16, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> It's not as sweet as the 6680 but the 702NK is not that bad; this
> list is sometimes moderated from one.

The biggest problem with it is speed - it and I do not exist in the
same time frame. I NEVER have to wait for my 504 to throw up a calendar
- or show me a contact - but the 702NK takes in excess of 3 seconds
just to show me its calendar screen!. That is just not acceptable. It
disrupts workflow too much.

Second problem is the way it retains state in apps like the contact
manager when it would be better not to.

Third problem is that it does not provide simple solutions to simple
problems - morning alarms for example - treating them instead as a
specific case of a general problem. Most people don't think of their
morning getting up alarm as they do other alarms throughout the day -
and are not happy to have them in their contact manager.

Fourth problem is the keys - they are nowhere near large enough for
fast typing.

and lastly, it crashes occasionally - particularly when using the voice

But it is mainly the speed that is the killer - it is just too
Fukuoka-ing slow.

You may correctly retort - it's a computer - live with the compromises
and accept the benefits of being able to install apps. But of course
one CAN'T install apps. Except manually. And some things don't work.

> Wouldn't a bluetooth mobile be better so you can still connect when
> out of wifi range?

too big. If I have to carry a pda, I want the cellphone to be as small
as possible.

Nick