(keitai-l) Re: japan device capabilities

From: dc <lister_at_pikkle.com>
Date: 10/26/05
Hi -

I guess this is a european perspective, but from Japan the devices are
definitely NOT all the same.

> The reason why the WURFL lacks a lot of info about i-mode
> devices is because when you ask an i-mode developer about
> what he's missing they will tell you, most of the times, that
> the i-mode devices are all similar and when you recognize the
> family (500, 900, etc) you know all about the device. The
> same applies to DoJa or flashlite.
> This is the reason why WURFL doesn't have much information
> about i-mode devices.

re flashlite:
actually the i-mode phones have a couple different major revs of flashlite.
(1.0, 1.1).
they also split these across PDC and FOMA, so the host browser caps
(therefore in-page DL size) are different.

similar  for AU for flashlite on 1X and EVDO (Win). (network controls
allowed filesize not FL player version).

the screensizes are also subtly different across devices.
some devices support "chakuflash"
some support phone book setting of ringtone flash
a handful support setting your whole phone to have a new flash front end
(custom flash menu).

etc, etc. There are about 20 different flash-related functions.

> Most notably we are missing information about download
> capabilities (ringtones, wallpapers, etc).
> If you have info about it and would like to see it in WURFL,
> just drop me an email.
> Is there anything that's missing? Come to wmlprogramming and
> make your suggestion.
> Are you working on a proprietary repository but would like to
> share it with the community (and hopefully get submissions
> back)? Let me know.
>
> WRT emoji, AFAIK they are all the same and you should find a
> list on the DoCoMo site. NOTE that they are different
> depending on the region, European emoji are not the same as
> the Japanese, but once you know the region they are the same
> among all devices. WURFL has this information.

where does this info come from? this is dead wrong.

other specs: support for decomail, different versions. inline jpeg in the
mail client... and on and on.

From here in japan these devices look mighty different, but i guess its all
relative.

We are working on putting all this info together, at least for flashlite. if
theres an easy way to feed it into WURFL, happy to do so; perhaps we'll make
the data available as an RSS feed?

/dc