(keitai-l) Ajax/DOM Nookia/Apple webkit

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/03/05
http://www.s60.com/news?action=latestNews&pbId=13&newsId=206&hot=0
There is a short list of what it will include if you scroll down the
page...

Anyone care to speculate when we will see Nokia's (& apple/KHTML) new
browser on a JP System 60 phone?

(Is there someone from Voda who might care to speculate on their
future offerings? I would cheerfully churn my 702nk for something
with bluetooth and a decent browser.)

It appears one can't just download it to a 702NK (woe, alack, alas...)

I have mixed feelings about these new keitai  browsers - on the one
hand javascript/xml/xslt will be very welcome on ketai (AJAX is LOTS
of good clean fun for elderly ZX80 coders) but will it add another
layer to the type of websites we have to build?

i.e - wml/basic-xhtml/chtml && XHTML/CSS && something in between to
fit on a small screen but using the technologies available on desktop
browsers.

The Safari webkit from Nookia will offer (I quote)
Dynamic HTML, supporting dynamic menus, rollovers, and scripted
behavioUr such as AJAX applications;
Extensive support of industry standards including W3C's HTML, XHTML
1.0, DOM, CSS and SVG-Tiny; other Web standards such as SSL and
ECMAScript; and Netscape style plug-ins including Flash Lite and audio.
Now - I am not sure of the latest 10.4.3 update to Safari, but as of
last week Safari did not support XSLT transformations of xml in the
Javascript DOM (Firebird does) (<= NOTE this may be garbled - I am
not up on the terminology, I just know it is buggered from messing
around with the google maps api.)

  If this new toy of Nokia's does, or will soon, then it will
seriously cut the amount of data that has to be downloaded to render
a page. (Which will be immediately gobbled up by the AJAX
transactions, it has to be said...)

I gog, easily, as long term patrons of this list will know, but
excite with more difficulty. But AJAX, xms/xslt on a keitai? It's a
whole new world.

Or have I excited as easily as I gog?

Thoughts?

Nick