(keitai-l) Re: Ajax/DOM Nookia/Apple webkit

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 11/04/05
On Nov 4, 2005, at 01:11, Nick May wrote:

> Anyone care to speculate when we will see Nokia's (& apple/KHTML) new
> browser on a JP System 60 phone?

The browser only works on Symbian 3 or higher so the 702NK (6630) and
soon to be released 702NK II (6680) will not be able to run it.
Docomo is releasing a Nokia mobile soon but I suspect it will also be
a 6680. The new batch of Nokia's N series mobiles will run it fine.

> I have mixed feelings about these new keitai  browsers - on the one
> hand javascript/xml/xslt will be very welcome on ketai (AJAX is LOTS
> of good clean fun for elderly ZX80 coders) but will it add another
> layer to the type of websites we have to build?

There will still be a challenge of delivering content in context, but
these moves should make mobile development easier once browsers with
these capabilities are widely adopted.  AJAX support is particularly
exciting.

For Japan, I don't see much change while Docomo drags its heals on
browser capabilities and standards support.

> Extensive support of industry standards including W3C's HTML, XHTML
> 1.0, DOM, CSS and SVG-Tiny; other Web standards such as SSL and
> ECMAScript; and Netscape style plug-ins including Flash Lite and
> audio.
> Now - I am not sure of the latest 10.4.3 update to Safari, but as of
> last week Safari did not support XSLT transformations of xml in the
> Javascript DOM

The Safari on 10.4.3 passes Acid 2 but Nokia may not use this Web Kit
version.

Cheers

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com | 34°40'n 135°30'e