(keitai-l) Re: How does Sanyo's GPS work?

From: Mr. Eric Hildum <EricHildum_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 11/08/05
While you can do cell sector positioning, usually the positions from
such systems are too inaccurate. There are a lot of factors that can
affect signal strength such as multi-path distortion,  which is why
most carriers are moving to the assisted GPS for more accurate
location. In the US, all carriers are moving to assisted GPS to meet
the FCC mandate for emergence call positioning. The requirement is
location within 50 meters of actual position.
There are other satellite based systems out there, and there are also
systems that use other signals. For example, Rosum has a system that
uses terrestrial broadcast television signals to very accurately
determine location, even within buildings. In this system, a set of
receivers at known location

As a side note, in the 1950s and early 1960s, the Department of
Defense in the US had a plan where in the event of an attack from the
Soviet Union, radio stations and television stations would vary their
transmitter power so as to throw off the aim of incoming missiles an
bombers.

Eric Hildum
eric.hildum@mobileplay.com