(keitai-l) Re: How does Sanyo's GPS work?

From: Shannon Jacobs <shanen_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: 11/07/05
> From: "Mr. Eric Hildum" <EricHildum@earthlink.net>
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:13:27 -0800

<snip>
> A few phones are capable of autonomous GPS, and can do all the
> calculations internally, but usually the assisted mode is so much
> more accurate and much faster there is rarely a reason to use this
> mode.

This is only part of your very informative reply, for which I think you. Is
there any way to determine if the Sanyo W22SA is one of the phones capable
of autonomous GPS, and if so, how to enable it for that mode? It wouldn't
actually be very useful because you'd need to have a separate map with
latitude and longitude. Too much of a nuisance for driving, but perhaps
useful if you want to go camping or boating. Or I guess it would be nice for
marking the photos, too.

From your description of the process, I'm not clear why they really need the
satellite part at all. It would seem they could do pretty much the same
thing by just working from the known locations of the cell towers and a
comparison of the relative signal strengths of the nearest ones. That
approach would seem to save quite a bit of circuitry.