(keitai-l) Re: 902i phones on sale

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew.shuttleworth_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11/13/05
I couldn't resist the 2.8" screen on the D902 and got one yesterday. Going
from a SO506iC and AU W21CA it actually feels very small and light and so
far I'm very happy with the usability. It feels very balanced in the hand
which is nice when mailing or imoding for longer periods. The button to
slide up the screen could be nicer to use.
The phone navigation is cool, but it's all nicely organized menus. When on
the stand-by screen the centre button surprisingly does nothing. I find the
W21CA much more intuitive. All the phones features and carrier's services
are much easier to access. Not sure whether this is a difference between
DoCoMo and AU or Mitsubishi and Casio. The DoCoMo handsets seem to be
getting more similar though. My wife also upgraded to a 901iC (for free) so
I had two new toys to play with yesterday. Both phones have lots of
similarities. For example the camera interface is identical on both phones.

iChannel is a nice feature but nothing amazing. I could only find two
customizable feeds but presumably this will increase. Haven't had chance to
try 'push talk' yet.
The best thing about getting the 902i was that it only cost just over 6000
yen. I had to martyr my PHS data card and got 20,000 yen discount for
'upgrading' to FOMA, 3,000 yen discount for subscribing to a bundle of
services and 3,000 yen discount for the ichinen waribiki, which I'll have to
take back when I cancel my contract (in order to get the phone swapped over
to my existing phone number).
 Amazingly the D902i was already sold out by Saturday afternoon at the
DoCoMo shop in Futakotamagawa, but it was cheaper and they still had stock
of all colors 15 mins. further out from Tokyo in Aobadai.
Andrew
--
www.andrewshuttleworth.com <http://www.andrewshuttleworth.com>
www.tabemo.com <http://www.tabemo.com>