(keitai-l) Re: DYI Open Source Cell Phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/17/05
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Debi Jones wrote:

> Break out of walled gardens and operator crippled devices, buy making your
> own.
> http://news.com.com/Build-it-yourself+cell+phones/2100-1008_3-5953682.html?part=rss&tag=5953682&subj=news

Man, I so do not buy this as a consumer thing, for several reasons.

     1. They don't mention the virus and bug issues. Ask any consumer,
     "do you wish your phone were more like your (Windows) PC?" and see
     what response you get.

     This is not a killer point, but it's an important one, and one that
     needs to be dealt with from the beginning. And it can be dealt with,
     I think, but by getting away from the hardware, rather than getting
     closer to it. BREW is the wrong direction; Java is the right one.

     2. Nonsense like, "The wonky dial-up bulletin board systems of
     the 1980s evolved into today's near-universal Internet access."
     Sorry, the Internet of the 1980s evolved into today's near-universal
     Internet access, killing the dial-up bulletin board systems of the
     1970s and 1980s. (I was there; I saw it.)

However, as an experimental platform? Great stuff. Though, again, the
only reason we need to do this sort of thing (buying our own radios and
integrating them) is because the carriers aren't providing a software
platform that's both safe (a la Java) and powerful (a la BREW).

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***