(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs mobile email

From: Helen Keegan - BeepMarketing <helen_at_beepmarketing.com>
Date: 11/28/05
Does this take into account the fact that we're using email and instant
messenger from our computers in the UK (which is free) when in fact the
Japanese are much less likely to have email access at a computer (or at
least that's what we're led to believe)?

I would guess that overall level of communications are similar... i.e. we're
likely in Europe to be contacting peers by email, sms, mobile email, instant
messenger etc as much as our friends in Japan but that the device of choice
for the majority of these messages is not yet mobile in the UK or Europe
because we don't need to do it on our mobiles as we have computer and
broadband access.

If I take myself as a 'normal' customer. I deal with 300+ inbound emails a
day and probably send about 50 or more each day. I'll typically have 6 or
more instant messenger conversations and probably send 2 or 3 sms. But
that's because I'm at my computer and it's free. I'm a cheapskate. I don't
want to spend money if I don't have to! And I'm also not likely to change a
habit that pre-existed my use of mobile phones and texting.

Or do your figures take this into consideration? And if so, can you explain
the breakdown and where you got the figures from to clarify that?

I don't doubt that our usage will shift more and more to mobile in the UK
and Europe, but not until the networks have sorted out their pricing models
to make it cheap(er). It's just too expensive right now for the average
teenager to run their messaging via their phone when the bank of Mum and Dad
are paying for broadband at home, effectively costing Joe Teenager nothing.

On the face of it, this is like comparing apples with oranges unless I've
missed something?

Helen Keegan
BeepMarketing Ltd
m: 0794 053 8802 t: 0870 770 7153 skype: technokitten or 020 8816 8548
web: www.beepmarketing.com
blog: www.technokitten.com