(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs mobile email

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 11/29/05
Broadband in Japan is world's cheapest (according to government survey
some time ago), and messaging via computer is prevalent here too. You
can get 100Mbps FFTH whose actual speed is over 20Mbps here for under
USD50 a month.

But you may be right, Japan has more mobile users that do not own (or do
not regularly use) computer than perhaps Europe/North America. As far as
I am concerned, in Japan mobile messaging tends to be a toy for kids,
while in Europe/North Amerika it is more of a business tool.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:00:43 -0000
"Helen Keegan - BeepMarketing" <helen@beepmarketing.com> wrote:

> Does this take into account the fact that we're using email and instant
> messenger from our computers in the UK (which is free) when in fact the
> Japanese are much less likely to have email access at a computer (or at
> least that's what we're led to believe)?
>
> I would guess that overall level of communications are similar... i.e. we're
> likely in Europe to be contacting peers by email, sms, mobile email, instant
> messenger etc as much as our friends in Japan but that the device of choice
> for the majority of these messages is not yet mobile in the UK or Europe
> because we don't need to do it on our mobiles as we have computer and
> broadband access.

snip

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
                    -  Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943