(keitai-l) Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Christopher Kobayashi <chriskk_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12/06/05
A friend of mine named Andreas recently released his paper online
titled, "Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale". He posted
it to the Web-Graphics website/group blog, and I thought it would be
interesting to some mobile web developers on this list.
http://web-graphics.com/mtarchive/001690.php

Also, hopefully get the list's reaction, comments, and thoughts.
Some topics I'm interested on:
- In the current state of the Japanese mobile web, is developing only
in XHTML a reality?
- How many older keitais are out there that would barf at XHTML. Also
how about the need for SJIS?

I personally believe that some type of server-side piece is required
that will custom-serve content based on WURFL (or some other open
source of handset metadata). For example, older keitais that can't
handle files over a specific size will only be sent smaller portions
of content and tag formated accordingly. BUT this is a moving target
... and older keitais must be dying quickly, so eventually we'll get
there. Question is when?

chriskk
--
b: http://ver2.oreno.org/